Friday, March 2, 2012

Happy Birthday to You!

The more that you read,
the more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
the more places you'll go.
-Dr. Seuss


Tomorrow would have been Dr. Seuss's 107th birthday.  To celebrate, we joined thousands of other schools across the nation for Read Across America day by inviting members from the community to come read Dr. Seuss books to homerooms.  Dr. Joyce, our principal, generously added 10 minutes to homeroom so that we could accomplish this feat.

Our principal, Dr. Joyce


Our art, leadership, and yearbook classes all chipped in to help create incredible Cat in the Hat hats for our readers to wear.  Many of our readers wore them!!


Panera Bread donated a bunch of sweets and my parents donated 4 dozen bagels, so there was definitely enough food!  Thanks, Panera and Mom and Dad! Also, one of our awesome parents made...are you ready for this???  GREEN EGGS AND HAM!!!!!!!!!!


What a spread, eh?
Mmmmmmmmm.
Yes, I tried some.
Although I'm not quite sure why I'm orange.
Dr. Seuss theme, I guess...

Some volunteers showed up early to practice their presentation.

I <3 how he's cuddling with Yertle


We were so lucky to have Liz, Stephen, and Sara from the Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators come to read to our kids!


Some random shots of the day:

Diana, one of my friends



Ms. Machado

Mr. Jacobs, of Communities in Schools fame

Alex, dressed for the occasion, as always!
(Can I just say how awesome my friends are for showing up and reading today???)

Ms. Orendorff let us borrow her Seussian friends for decor.


And of course we had to get a group picture!

I think there were still a few missing, but holy cow!  Look at our awesome volunteers!

I had completely forgotten that I'd asked Mr. Lisker and his drama class to perform The Lorax during lunch time, and when I saw the crowd they were gathering, I just smiled.  Unfortunately, because I keep the library open during lunch so scholars can do their homework or read, I couldn't watch the show, but I sure could hear it.  I was as impressed with them as I was the last time they performed this, which was at our Barnes & Noble night.

What an awesome, celebratory day we had here at Webster!  I have had nothing but positive feedback.  I  am very appreciative of the generosity of all our readers, the food that was donated, and the extra help I got from Miriam, Paola, and Brianne, who not only helped me organize the whole day, but got to work early (before 7:00am!) to help set up.  Without them, I'd never have been able to pull off this awesome event.  And another thank you to Ms. Strong and Ms. Orendorff, both of whom called my cell phone before 7:00 to remind me that the day was going to be awesome.  You both were totally correct!

I'm delighted that today's event went so well.  I can't wait to do it again next year.

Happy Reading!



Please check out our friends:
Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators
Communities in Schools
Panera Bread

No comments:

Post a Comment