Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Bad Beginning

"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end."
-Semisonic

We had our very first ever Library Advisory Committee meeting this past Monday.  This was pretty exciting to me, as I'd been given the idea years ago and it took me years to put it in action.  There was a terrific turn out, and after I brought up the DIRE NEED to change the name from Library Advisory Committee (LAC, for short.  I know, right?) to anything else, we discussed the following:

Creating a library policy for insuring that our books stay in our library
Library displays to make it look awesome and homey
Our Million Word Readers (MWR) program
The Virtual Reference Desk (VRD)
Purchasing a server for the library
This year's library budget, which is exactly $0.00

Suggestions involved a discussion regarding how to modify Accelerated Reader (AR) for differently-abled students, requesting magazine subscription donations for the library from the community (we are in the midst of a fund-raiser that has magazines right now...brilliant!), and ... me starting a library blog.

Holy cow!  A library blog!  How fun!  I feel that this is both the end of an era--that of me being a beginning librarian--and beginning a new one: that of me being a ...well, whatever I am now.  I plan to post about goings on: in the library, at Webster, etc.  Because that sounds like fun.  And I think that's what people want to know about.  So...yeah.

In any case, I have a good feeling about this.  :)

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment