Monday, October 31, 2011

The Night Before Halloween

"Sometimes comfort doesn't matter.  When a shoe is freakin' fabulous, it may be worth a subsequent day of misery.  Soak in Epsom salts and take comfort in the fact that you're better than everyone else."
-Clinton Kelly

The one question I've been asked most often today is this:

"Where on Earth did you get those shoes?!?"

Well, here's the answer.  Ebay.  Also, they're my wedding shoes.  :)


Yes, I did.

Here's what I look like today:

Wicked Witch of the EAST, people!  Ruby Reds and stripy stockings?  Get it?  Well, do you?

Halloween is definitely my favorite holiday.  

Today's schedule was a busy, busy one: the first half of the day was taken up by our library committee meeting, and then at lunch the plan was to read scary stories.

The library committee meeting went quickly, I felt.  Here's the agenda:

New Business
1.  Million Word Readers
     * 10 already!  (Eight students, plus Ms. Orendorff and Mr. Higgins.)
2.  Library grants page

Old Business
1. Name (we're going with 'library committee')
2.  Mission Statement (see below)     
3.  Virtual Reference Desk (VRD)
4.  Server update
5.  Technology update
6. Blog  (I got to show off this blog!)

Discussion/ Suggestions

Mission Statement
In support of the Daniel Webster Middle School Mission Statement and Vision, the Mission of Daniel Webster Middle School’s Library Media Program is to ensure that students and staff are effective users of ideas and information. The Library Media Program accomplishes this mission by:

1)   Being an integral part of Daniel Webster Middle School and it’s learning community.
2)   Collaborating with teachers to create authentic learning for all students
3)   Providing instruction in information literacy
4)   Supporting the content curriculum and reading initiatives
5)   Promoting life-long reading and learning, both for pleasure and for information
6)   Providing scholars with materials that meet their needs
7)   Providing our students with an inviting and safe environment


There was great discussion and suggestions.  This time I had someone else take notes so that I could focus on what was going on rather than taking notes.  That worked much better, although I have not taken a look yet.  If you have more to add, questions, comments, and/or concerns, please feel free to add them in the comments section below.

During lunch I competed with the leadership class.  They had a huge costume contest and I read scary stories.  I honestly didn't think I would get anyone in here; it would seem to me that watching all the fun costumes would definitely win out over some geezer reading.   I prepared my table anyway.

Yes, that's the Raggedy Doctor sitting on a pumpkin.  Of course he joined in the fun!

Let's see...Jack o lantern full of chocolate.  Check.  Pumpkin carved into Ruby Red Slippers, complete with glowing LCD candle in red candle holder.  Check.

Actually, here's a better photo of that:

Carved pumpkin courtesy of one of my library practice students.

...Basket full of pretzels.  Check.  Pile o' books of scary stories.  Check.  Shades pulled down.  Check.  Lights out.  Check.  All ready.

The bell rang and the usual crowd didn't rush in to grab their accustomed seats.  While I was expecting this, I still felt...disappointed?  I'm not sure.  But then a few minutes later two girls came in and asked, "are you going to read the scary stories?"  I grinned.  "I would love to."  

In ones and twos kids started to come in and sit with us.  They passed the treats and whispered to each other to only take one, just in case more kids came in.  I would ask one student to choose a book, then ask another to pick a number between 1 and 100 to figure out the page number of the story to read. We all agreed that while the stories weren't actually scary, they were certainly creepy.  There were about  fifteen kids crowded around my table, which surprised me.  I read until the bell rang.  I was almost glad it did--my voice was starting to go.

As they filed out, they thanked me and asked when the next activity would be.  I showed them the library calendar where they wondered about the crochet club and asked about the next book talk.

When the last student left, I walked around campus--people will milling about and taking their time to get to class and I wanted to see the costumes.  I was able to take a few quick photos with Mr. Higgins and some of his students.


With Mr. Higgins.  He was a vampire Viking.  I called him Eric all day long.  
Eric is a vampire Viking on the show True Blood, for those of you who don't watch.


 With the adorable Fairy Princess Noor.  
Noor is in my Library Media class, so I know she turned her permission slip in!  

So, that was today.  I wish you all a safe evening full of fun.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment