Friday, October 21, 2011

Ender's Game

"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents."
-Emilie Buchwald

Today we had our first episode of Book Talk with Ms. Bender.  It was, in short, awesome.

We discussed Ender's Game, a book that is somewhat controversial but completely solid.  I began by introducing Doctor Who (the tenth doctor), who will be our mascot for the year.  I figured that he would be a good mascot, because he travels through time and space--and who better to join us through all the time periods and places of all the novels we'll discuss than a time and space traveller?  Yanno whaddImean?

The raggedy tenth doctor and Ender's Game, winner of many awards and all around fantastic book

I know, I know, I have the End of Time injured tenth doctor.  I got him for my last birthday.  My husband didn't realize there were other options, ones who were not beat up and raggedy.  *sigh*  I'll get an uninjured one, one of these days...but for now, he'll do.

About six kids came, bringing their lunches and good attention spans.  Not bad for a first event!  I began to read the first chapter and as I read either I stopped to ask them a question to see if they got it (they did!) or they interrupted me (politely) to ask me a question.  We didn't make it all the way through, but I feel that's a great sign, because we had a great conversation around literature.  And isn't that the point, really?

The tenth doctor and all of the Ender books
The Bean books are my favorites.  In case you wondered. 

Unfortunately, the bell rang before we could finish the chapter, but three of them asked if they could check out Ender's Game because it sounded "cool."  It sounded cool.  Ok, maybe I lied before, maybe that is the point.  Getting children interested and excited about reading books.

Yeah, that's definitely the point.

Happy Reading!





* Note: Of course there are more pictures of the event, but they have kids in them and I can't legally post photos of student faces until all AUP (Acceptable Use Policy) forms are turned in with parent signatures.  Pesky legals matters and such.


1 comment:

  1. Yeah, that's definitely the point, that sounds AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete