Friday, November 18, 2011

Room on the Broom

"The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention."
-Oscar Wilde

I have been crazy busy these last few weeks.  This is exciting to me, because it means that the library is being used as it's supposed to.  Yay that!

Today I just wanted to write a quick blurb because I read one of my all-time favorite books during Book Talk today.  Instead of just allowing my regular book talkers to come, I made the entire room of kids who were in here during lunchtime today come and listen.  They came slowly, dragging their feet.

Ok, so confession: it's a picture book I wanted to read to them.  So it wasn't really a book talk, more of a Book Read.  I'm totally ok with that.



I wasn't sure how a picture book would go over.  These are middle school kids after all.  I told them that this is a Thanksgiving book, and that while I read they were to listen for the reason it's a Thanksgiving book -- instead of a Halloween book, because it has a witch in it.

Then I started to read.

They were enraptured.  They didn't say a word, except for one student who made a perfectly appropriate comment at one point.  Which was something to the effect of, "wow, she really loses things often."  Which told me he was totally engaged and into the story.

I finished the book and then asked them what their response was.

"It's definitely a Thanksgiving book," said a girl.  "They all helped the witch and then she said thank you.  Thanksgiving is about helping, like the Indians helped the Pilgrims.  And the Pilgrims should have said thank you."

My day is complete.

Happy Reading!

5 comments:

  1. OK, now I've got to get that book and read it to my kids right away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to see this book could I read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god i should buy this book for my cat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow thats awesome i should buy that book

    ReplyDelete