Friday, November 4, 2011

Together

"Coming together is a beginning.  Keeping together is progress.  Working together is success."
-Henry Ford

When I looked at my schedule this morning, I was a little overwhelmed.  What a busy, busy day I had planned!

Mr. Levengood had scheduled his classes to have their library orientation periods 1 - 5.  We would have the November FFB during nutrition.  I had a book talk scheduled.  *whew*

First of all, I love library orientation.  It's that time near the beginning of the school year when I get to talk at each and every student in the entire school and remind them how awesome the library is.  We go over rules and procedures--how to behave, how to check out books--and why the library is important.  We cover fines and the cheapest way to replace a lost or damaged book.  But most importantly, I get to connect with every one of my students.  I have 700 of them this year and it's so great to remind them that the library is here for them, that I am here for them.

The November FFB was hosted by our awesome history department.

Historians Extraordinaire: Mr. Gearin, Ms. Arzanipour, Mr. Lisker, Ms. Benjamin-Joseph, Mr. Cornett

Being as dedicated to historical events as they are, they included some historical information about our breakfast.



They served Starbucks coffee (now we're getting fancy!), juice, muffins, bagels, and fruit.

What a spread! 

Artful display arranged by our awesome parent volunteers while I taught Mr. Levengood's classes. 
Awesome.


Blurry photo of breakfast drinks and 8,000,000,000,001 creamers.
There are two more that I left in the fridge.

Once again, just before the nutrition bell rang folks started to show up, nosh, talk, and laugh.

Mrs. Teems with bagel and A Brief History of the Bagel

Mr. Brener, Mr. Catanzariti, Mr. Lisker, Ms. Valverde, Mrs. Macris, Mrs. Teems, Ms. Winberry,  
Mrs. Cook, Ms. Strong, Mr. Levengood



Mr. Brener, Mr. Lisker, Ms. Strong, awesome parent volunteer

This time there were many comments.  I heard, "this is so great.  I love seeing everybody!"  I also heard, "oh you just wait until the science department's turn comes!" This all makes me very, very happy.

During lunch, I quickly set up Doctor Who and all the Little House books I could find, which were a lot, thanks to Ms. Strong's personal library.  This time only two kids came to the book talk, but they were both very present and attentive, and thought that the idea of covered wagons was "really cool."  They also particularly enjoyed when I talked about Pa carrying a shotgun, trapping game to feed his family, and how he had to cut down trees to build them a home.  I tailored the book talk for the boys, what can I say.

Little House on the Prairie with the Raggedy Doctor

Mr. Levengood observed to me that I seem to be always busy, the library phone is always ringing (he had to answer every time it rang while I was teaching his classes), and I don't ever seem to stop.  I like that observation; to me, being busy all the time means that I'm getting a lot done.  I hope to continue doing so for a long, long time.  <3

Happy Reading!

2 comments: